Mental Health Awareness Month - Wellbeing WednesdayMay 27, 2020 - Karlea Barnes
As part of its focus on physical, mental and emotional health, the Enliven program is sharing tips to ensure employees are caring for and improving upon their mental wellbeing during this Mental Health Awareness Month.
Since the launch of Enable’s Enliven program, we have seen increased dedication to living healthier lifestyles through eating better, losing weight and reducing stress. Wellbeing is a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and, on this Wellbeing Wednesday, we hope you will implement the following tips and tricks into your daily routine.
- Find the right workout: The idea of exercise is simple, but it can be difficult to follow through with a plan. Finding a workout you enjoy can give you something to look forward to and inviting a friend or family member to join in can provide accountability for you both. If you find yourself running out of time in the day to exercise, prioritize movement in your routine, such as taking a walk over lunch.
- Eat right: One of the easiest ways to maintain your health and wellbeing is by eating healthy. Including fruits and vegetables in your diet provides a natural source of fiber, minerals and vitamins, and understanding your body type and nutritional needs will allow you to create a balance between healthy and indulgent foods. Creating meal plans and sharing recipes are also great ways to save money by cooking at home.
- Get enough sleep: It is important to maintain a proper sleep schedule. Sleeping too little or too much can affect how your organs and metabolism operate. Research indicates that individuals need seven to eight hours of sleep every night to remain healthy. Listening to meditative music and having some chamomile tea before going to sleep can help you relax and sleep better.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking water throughout the day is key, but you should especially hydrate your body first thing in the morning. This will help flush toxins and improve your skin, in addition to supporting your kidneys.
- Spend time outside: A lack of natural sunlight and fresh air can reduce immune function and cause chronic diseases. Whether you are walking, running or hiking, make sure to spend a little time outside every day enjoying the outdoors.
These tips may seem simple, but can have a big impact on your health, happiness and wellbeing. This May, take time to focus on yourself, assess your personal wellbeing goals and start toward a healthier future.
Just like physical health, mental health is extremely important. Seeking guidance and support for mental health is as important as seeking a doctor for physical wellbeing. For help or support, please take advantage of Enable’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Provided at no cost to you, the EAP offers confidential support, information and resources. You can learn more about EAP online or by calling 800-311-4327.